Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 Book Recap

2014 Recap

Best Book of 2014: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Wow!  I just finished this book on December 30th, so right before the New Year started, and I am so glad that I finally read this book because it was AMAZING!  I mean, obviously it was because I think it is the best book that I have read all year (and it was right at the end)!  I HIGHLY recommend this book, and a review will be coming!

Worst Book of 2014: Starcrush by Justine Erler

I received this book for review, and I really just didn’t care for it.  I decided to review it after the author reached out to me because I don’t typically read a lot of paranormal romance young adult novels.  The main reason I didn’t care for this book was because of the fact that there was a love triangle, and both romances were cases of insta-love.  Not a fan.


Disappointing Book: Love Story by Jennifer Echols

I believe it was last year that I discovered Jennifer Echols through reading Going Too Far and Forget You.  I really enjoyed both of these novels, and I was excited to read another Jennifer Echols book, however, this one was a disappointment for me.  I didn’t care for the characters or the plot (although I though I would really enjoy the storyline in New York!)

Most Surprising Book: Selling Scarlett by Ella James

I received this book for review, and I thought it was a new adult novel.  However, a few chapters into the book, I realized that it was clearly erotica.  This was my first book from the genre, and after realizing that, I was worried that the book would be too focused on the sex and the plot would suffer.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the plot was very well developed and really interesting.  Once I got about halfway through the novel, I didn’t want to put it down!

Most Recommended Book: The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is definitely a very popular author, and after reading My Sister’s Keeper, I knew I had to pick up another book by her.  The Tenth Circle was one of the most recommended books by Jodi Picoult so I decided to pick it up, and I definitely was NOT disappointed.

Best Series: Divergent by Veronica Roth

This category wasn’t much of a competition because this was the only series that I actually finished this year!  Hahaha!  I definitely started several series; this was just the only one that I finished. But regardless, I really enjoyed this series (despite the controversy of the third novel!)

Favorite Discovered Author: Julie Cross – Third Degree
Another book that I received for review.  I absolutely loved this book!  I thought it was such a cute and funny romance, and I completely fell in love with the characters.  I thought the writing style by Julie Cross was great, and I can’t wait to read another book by her!

Hilarious Book: Bedlam: Baby Blues Scrapbook #30 by Rick Kirkman & Jerry Scott

If you knew me, than you know that my all-time favorite comic strip is Baby Blues.  I absolutely love the drawings, and each comic strip is so cute!  So of course, I collect all Baby Blues scrapbooks (collections of the comic strips), and yes, this is scrapbook number 30.  Hahaha!  It’s quite the collection, but these comics always make my laugh!

Unable to put down book: Every Little Piece by Kate Ashton

I was very tempted to put this book in the “Favorite Discovered Author” category because this was another book that I loved and can’t wait to read more by the author.  But I thought it fit best here because this book had so many twists that I was unable to put it down!

Most Anticipated Book: Four: A Divergent Story Collection by Veronica Roth

After reading the Divergent series this year, I knew I needed this book, and so I got it shortly after it came out!  And then of course, I read it in like 2 days!

Favorite Book Cover: I Heart Hollywood by Lindsey Kelk

I am obsessed with the covers of this whole series!  I read the first book in the series last year, and then read the second book this year.  I think the covers are so incredibly cute, and I can’t wait to pick up the next book!

Most memorable character: Four from Divergent by Veronica Roth

So Divergent makes another appearance on this list. J Especially after reading Four and watching the movie, I think this choice is obviously.

Beautifully written book: Stolen by Lucy Christopher

I thought this book was incredibly interesting, and the writing style was phenomenal!  This book deals with the idea of Stockholm Syndrome, and the novel is written in the form of a letter from the girl to her captor, which I found very interesting.

The book which had the greatest impact: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

I think this goes without question.  If I Stay was a great novel that if you really tried to place yourself in that position, would really make you think.  I thought it was very interesting to read and think about how you would deal with that situation.

A book you can't believe you wait until 2014 to read it: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I believe this book came out in 2012, and I have heard amazing things about this book since then.  And of course, I finally got around to reading it this year, and I can’t believe that I waited this long!





I want to know your answers to these in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment